Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad today admitted the Pakatan Rakyat will sweep Perak if fresh elections are called but recommended the state assembly meets to decide on the mentri besar post.
“It’s not good for the world to see the musical chairs in Perak where the MB is changing because of the decision of the courts,” Dr Mahathir said.
When asked if the current impasse in Perak would affect the ruling Barisan Nasional’s chances in the next elections, he said: “I hope people will have short memories.”
“The outcome is a foregone conclusion” said Dr Mahathir if fresh elections are held, adding that it was his feeling after the by-election in Bukit Gantang and from talking to people.
“If BN really has a majority they can move a motion of no confidence and set up another government.”
The former prime minister said he would hold his opinion on whether V. Sivakumar was legitimately removed as speaker in deference to the courts.
He also refused to comment if the debacle in Perak would have a lasting negative impact on Barisan Nasional and affect the outcome in the next general election.
Dr Mahathir was speaking to the Press today after a special talk on “Malaysia-Today’s Knowledge Economy”.
During the talk, he said the future can be determined by trends and no crystal ball was needed to predict the future.
However, he refused to answer when asked if he was positive about the future of BN and Umno based on current trends.
“I beg not to reply to that question. It’s just my private opinion and I’ll keep it to myself.
- Najib’s power grab in Perak puts Malaysia in Wall Street Journal
- Time to end the Perak circus by letting the people decide
- Perak crisis should be resolved by the people
- Hishammuddin praises police arrests – says does not matter whether they were warranted or not
- Najib and high-powered team (Muhyiddin, Hishammuddin, Zahid, Mahathir) dealt a bruising rebuke in polls
- Najib and high-powered team (Mahathir, Zahid, Hishammuddin, Muhyiddin) lose referendum
Dr Mahathir says Perak polls will wipe out Barisan Nasional