Abd Hakim Borhan will not be extended as Kuala Lumpur mayor because of unimpressive performance

Sun2Surf

The Special Task Force to Facilitate Business (Pemudah) will not recommend an extension of Datuk Abd Hakim Borhan’s tenure as Datuk Bandar of Kuala Lumpur.

Sources said Abd Hakim, 56, who retires on Dec 14, will not be given any extension when his tenure ends, following a “non-impressive performance” as caretaker of the city, in the eyes of the task force.

Pemudah, headed by Chief Secretary to the Government Tan Sri Mohd Sidek Hassan adopted City Hall last month – the second local authority to come under its purview after the adoption of the Ampang Jaya Municipal Council (MPAJ) last year.

Such adoptions are seen as last-ditch efforts to rehabilitate agencies that have lost the public’s confidence.

Pemudah members, when contacted, remained mum but it is understood a recommendation will be made to Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi for a new mayor.

“It is felt that for City Hall to improve, one needs a new person at the top,” said a source, adding that Pemudah members were unhappy with the way Abd Hakim has been treating the task force, snubbing a recent meeting which was chaired by Sidek – the co-chairman of Pemudah.

Even previous meetings have been known to be fiery, with one Pemudah member apparently telling the mayor that he will start listening to the people only when the last Barisan Nasional (BN)-held seat in Kuala Lumpur falls to the Opposition.

Results of the March 8 general election indicate that city folk have all but had it with the local authority – where the ruling coalition lost 11 of 12 parliamentary seats in Kuala Lumpur. The sole BN representative in the city is Datuk Seri Zulhasnan Rafique (Setiawangsa) who happens to be the minister of federal territories.

The agency and the mayor had been under severe criticism over several thorny issues affecting residents. They range from haphazard planning, higher assessment and the latest – hill slope development concerning the controversial Damansara 21 project. In spite of a landslide that damaged two homes at the foot of the hill on Aug 27 when a retaining wall collapsed, City Hall lifted a stop-work order.

It has done the same on several other development projects – issuing a ban at the height of public protest and then lifting it after the hoopla has died down.

The Damansara 21 project is being investigated by the Anti-Corruption Agency following reports of alleged irregularities in the approval process.

Advertisements
Posted in BN government, jijik, kosong

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog Stats
  • 357,078 hits
Pages
October 2008
M T W T F S S
« Sep   Nov »
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
%d bloggers like this: